As stewards of public relations, we are often called upon to act as both voice and conscience of those we represent. With technology at our fingertips and society just one click away, a more connected public requires PR practitioners to be diligent about the moral underpinnings of our messaging and of our behavior.
This year, PRSA celebrates Ethics Month by offering a number of resources — including blogs, webinars, twitter chats and research — on ethics and discussions on how ethical practice is not just obligatory for communications professionals, ethical practice strengthens the very foundation of our profession.
For Colorado members, Dawn Doty, professor of Practice in Advertising, Public Relations and Media Design at the University of Colorado, will be leading a session on ethics at September’s Chapter Summit. Ethics as Culture will provide a general perspective on ethics in the workplace and the vital need for PR pros to follow an ethical decision-making process. The session will include a short presentation followed by the opportunity for participants to work in small groups to discuss ethical decision-making scenarios to stimulate learning.
Other PRSA Ethics Month activities include:
- PRSay Blog Posts: Throughout the month on PRSA Core Values: advocacy, honesty, loyalty, professional development and objectivity.
- Sept 14 from 3-4 p.m. EDT/1-2 p.m. MDT: Incorporating ethics in the public relations classroom: Tips, tools and resources for communications educators Free for members-Register now! Available on-demand: 9/21
- Sept. 19 from 3-4 p.m. EDT/1-2 p.m. MDT: The Ethical Expectations of Leadership
Free for members – Register now! Available on-demand: 9/26
- Twitter Chats: #PREthics
- Sept 12 at 8:30 p.m. EDT/6:30 p.m. MDT: Strategies for revealing and disclosing mistakes and bad news
- Sept. 25 at 4 p.m. EDT/2 p.m. MDT: Truth in Communications
- Ethics Webinars On-Demand: Becoming a Truly Trusted Strategic Ethics Advisor: Building credibility, protecting reputations: Featuring PRSA Board of Ethics and Professional Standards (BEPS) members: James E. Lukaszewski, ABC, IABC Fellow; APR, Fellow PRSA, BEPS Emeritus; Nance Larsen, APR, Fellow PRSA and Chair of BEPS; and Janelle Guthrie, APR, Fellow PRSA. Full Price: $200. Members: Free!
ContributeIf you're interested in contributing to our blog, e-mail us with your name, organization and topic.
Tagsaccreditation APR Bruce Goldberg Case Study Chapter Retreat Christina Loznicka Crisis Communications CSU PRSSA Denver Denver Post Denver Press Club Elisabeth Monaghan ethics event Events Facebook Gina Seamans Gold Picks Linhart PR Media Spotlight Members Metzger Associates MGA Communications Networking Nonprofit PR PR PR Boost Professional Development PRSA PRSA Colorado PRSA Event PRSA National PRSSA public relations Rocky Mountain News Shadow Day Social Media students Suzanne Trantow The Denver Post Twitter volunteer Western District Conference Young Professionals Young Pros