In June, PRSA Colorado members Stephanie Blake, APR, Christie Denniston, APR, and Jane Dvorak, APR, took part in Inside Denver, a monthly, hour-long Twitter chat for the Denver community. Hosted by Blake Communications (@blakecomm) and Heinrich Marketing (@heinrichmktg), Inside Denver highlights and features unique, unusual and integral people and happenings. The June topic was Public Relations & Marketing Career Advice, offering PR and marketing students, recent graduates or those on the job market tips and tricks for being marketable and relevant.
Here are some of the pearls of wisdom that fueled the discussion.
- The most important skill set for PR professionals includes strategic thinking and strong, concise writing.
- Know the communication tools to use and how to use them. This includes phone calls, emails and other traditional and nontraditional public relations tools.
- Be sincere when networking. Figure out how you can help someone before asking for something.
- Send handwritten thank you notes.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic.
- Acquire basic photo editing, website creation and digital skills.
- When interviewing, avoid cliché answers.
- Be prepared for interviews. Study the business, the market and the position.
- Show interest in learning, growing and solving problems.
- Exhibit your ability to work in a team and as an individual who is self motivated.
We also learned what we already know: that the Denver PR market is talented, collaborative, supportive and passionate. The resources you need to succeed are out there – through the PRSA Colorado chapter and other opportunities. Be engaged, ask questions, show up authentically, be consistent, and the Denver PR world will be yours for the taking…and giving!
ContributeIf you're interested in contributing to our blog, e-mail us with your name, organization and topic.
Tagsaccreditation APR Bruce Goldberg Case Study Chapter Retreat Christina Loznicka Crisis Communications CSU PRSSA Denver Denver Post Denver Press Club Elisabeth Monaghan ethics event Events Facebook Gina Seamans Gold Picks Linhart PR Media Spotlight Members Metzger Associates MGA Communications Networking Nonprofit PR PR PR Boost Professional Development PRSA PRSA Colorado PRSA Event PRSA National PRSSA public relations Rocky Mountain News Shadow Day Social Media students Suzanne Trantow The Denver Post Twitter volunteer Western District Conference Young Professionals Young Pros